Think Big! Custom Aquariums
Want something custom designed, built, and installed? Let’s talk. People are constantly thinking of new and creative things to do with aquariums. The Aquos team will walk you through the entire process of designing, building, installing, and maintaining your custom fish tank.
Things to Consider
There are a lot of things to consider when planning a custom aquarium. Aquos will answer questions every step of the way, but here are a few things to think about before getting started:
- Glass vs. Acrylic — Custom aquarium sizes and shapes may need to be made from acrylic rather than glass. Acrylic tanks have different maintenance needs than glass fish tanks. See our References section for more information on glass versus acrylic tanks.
- Weight — Large aquariums are heavy and may need extra support. Think about the flooring underneath where the aquarium will sit, it may need a contractor to put in support structures — an added expense that is easy to overlook. Contact us if you are unsure about your support. We would be happy to put another set of eyes on it for your peace of mind.
- Cabinetry — Custom aquarium shapes and sizes might need custom cabinetry to hold them. Tank stands come in all types of materials, so consider the decor of the room where the aquarium will be as well as the cost of custom cabinetry. You can have a custom tank made with a standard “footprint” to fit an existing stand as well.
- Lighting & Plumbing — There is a lot of hardware that needs to accompany your custom fish tank, so consider things like lighting and tank plumbing in your idea. Proper planning before installation begins helps avoid trouble down the road. Things like power and water access, ventilation and the overall safety of the setup must be addressed before any aquarium is put into your home or business.
- Maintenance — What good is an awesome fish tank if it always looks dirty? Accessibility and maintenance are very important factors to consider. Talk to Aquos, the aquarium specialists, about how to keep your custom aquarium clean and amazing.